Race: Desaru Pengerang Long Distance Triathlon 2007

Saturday, August 18, 2007

7.30am

I could hear noises from the other room (IMD's) since we have connecting doors. Still in lazy mode, I sprawled in my warm bed. Eventually, I got up, washed up and loaded myself with bread and jelly beans. Looking out towards the sea, I could see foam from waves that came crashing in. Uh-oh. I think its going to be one rough swim today.

We brought our bikes and stuff down to transition area before getting our bodies marked. We never fail to stop by bikes that have high "wow" factors. Today, IMD, Sotong, Roonz, TeeLee, Cfred, SV and myself are doing the Long Distance Triathlon (equates to Half Ironman in distance).

We were ushered to the swim start point where a small briefing was given before a V.I.P. did a flag off. There were four slackers who took their time to pose for pictures before entering into the waters. To be honest, I have not swam in this surf condition before. Well, I have seen this in dive trips but not swimming in it. Imagine having to fight waves to get out to the open sea, navigate, get pushed around in currents and not to mention bobbing in the sea too. I did my first 1km lap in 27mins. At the first buoy of my second lap, I spotted my fellow slacker in his yellow tri top. Too fast for me to draft, he was seen losing his swim cap after his second buoy turn. I reached the shore at 57mins. I turned around to find Eddie and Jeremy behind me. Doing a slow jog, I ran the path through overhead shower to rinse salt water off my body before gearing for my bike leg. I took 6-10mins to transit and I stole some shots of people around before I hopped on my bike. I dropped the idea of having to bring my camera along which proved to be a wise choice. At the slope up and out of transit area, *dang* I switched to a wrong gear.. oops.. and I had to dismount to push the bike up. Haaa! Joker. Before the first U-turn point, the fellow slacker (IMD) rang his bell on his mountain bike at the other side of the route. Yes, you read it correct. Mountain bike. He rang his bell each time he spotted me slacking too. At the first U-turn point, I grabbed a PowerBar bottle for hydration and as souvenir too. On the entire three loops of 30km each, I was greeted each time by SassyRunner, Mrs. Sotong and Eunice cheering for us. *Bows plenty* Many, many thanks! Familiar faces cycling along the routes waved to me as well. Around the 10km mark of the cycling route, it started to rain. Arrgg.... I will be running in this wet shoes for my 21km. Probably, my Phuket Marathon was a training race for me to run in wet shoes. For most part of my bike leg, I had rain drops "massaging" my face. Some parts of the route were hilly and there are quite scenic too. If not for the rain, I would have take a shot of the surrounding. Hence, that is why I said, not bringing my camera along for my bike leg was a good choice. At my last lap's second U-turn point, Sotong overtook me. Soon, Roonz also caught up. We spent some time drafting chatting and slacking on the bike. It was quite funny that what she said was true. We are so slow till we had the whole road to ourselves! Her yummy yellow Cervelo bike with Ultegra bike sped like a cheetah. I have "gra" on my groupset too! Not Ultegra but Tiagra. So much difference.. :p I had to be in aero position to match her speed. Moreover, we saw a stranger on mountain bike and another big boned triathlete passing us. So, its not the bike! It's the rider's fault! Sotong and IMD ambushed us at the last U-turn point before three slackers follow the "Yellow Jersey" (Tour de Desaru) back to the bike transition point. Most people were already in their run leg! Ouch... sore butt. Did I mention I had to stop to eat four bananas for fueling? That saved my life! All thanks to the volunteers.

We gathered and started running. IMD took off like a condor. Haa.. so much for a slacker. My mind was all about my ITB condition. Cfred and Fennel waved to check if I was okay and I waved back with a thumbs up. At 7km mark, I could sense my ITB tickling my left leg. At the same time, I heard a shout, "Slacker!" from behind. It was Sotong and Roonz. They were kind enough to pace me back all the way to the finishing point. At 15km, my ITB was more than just a tickle. Sigh. I finished my 21km at 2hrs 55mins (my worst ever). The three of us crossed the finishing line together. So drama! Ha... We were greeted with our finisher medals and cold, wet PowerBar towels. Our supporter friends were there to cheer for us. Thanks guys!! I give thanks to our supporters who had to brave the rain and sun to cheer for us even though we were the last ones to come back. After a chat with the organizer, we collected our bikes to return to our rooms for our shower before we head out for dinner. Need I say more that I crashed out after dinner? Lights out.

Posted by Muggs at 11:07 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment