Race: Bay Run - AHM 2007

Sunday, August 26, 2007

No pictures for this race because I had intentionally left out my camera in my packing list. Plagued with ITB, I wanted to use this opportunity to find out how far I can go. Full concentration is required.

With a late night (didn't help and can't help it), I got out of bed a little stoned. Since most things have been pre-packed, it was a breeze to transform from sleep wear to slack wear. I started stretching while waiting for a Slack-mobile pickup. Thanks IMD! Lots of familiar faces were already at the starting line. There wasn't much music to pump up any adrenalin and the crackling speaker system didn't offer much help either.

Race count down and flag off! I ran with a comfortable pace. No rushing, no pushing. A pee pit stop at the first loo of EC stretch, I was still doing fine. At around the last hydration point before U-turn, disaster struck. One fellow runner cut my path to grab some water. I was already on far right of the lane to avoid the hydration crowd. It seems destined. Though he did say sorry a few times, the damage has been done. At braking on the problem leg, the "feeling" crept in. Just after the U-turn, medics were attending to someone on the floor who was in a state of convulsion. I hope he's okay. I started my run/walk at 11km. Most friends who passed me gave words of encouragement. Thanks! Not long after the first E-brake, a second came. Gone. It just got more intense. Before I reached 14km, someone came too close from behind and kicked my foot as he tried to overtake. He went off without turning back. I was already on the drain covers. Probably the road isn't big enough for all of us. At that point, my ITB seized up and I was down to walking all the way from 14km. While walking along Nicoll Highway, I received a second kick. Even walking?! Nevermind, it was "Hi!" "Hello" "Go go.. don't slack." "Injured lah.", as I told those friends who waved to me. I walked into the floating platform with no good form and even the last 50m was a chore. 2:36 hrs. Personal best out of my Personal worst range. Not bad. Grateful that I was not in DNF category. Really uncomfortable, I left for home early. I didn't collect any race pack, which Reno said I didn't miss out much. I probably missed the makan session with them.

Having said this, I do see some considerate runners who checked their blind spot before stepping out. Some even gave hand signals to indicate their intentions. I ran this race and it was a risk I took. Like I always say, shite happens and it happened on me.

Posted by Muggs at 2:58 PM  

2 comments:

You got damn bad luck yesterday but still you press on until the end. That is the mark of a real runner.

Anyway, have you got seen a doc for the ITB? Like quite sometime you have this condition already.

Tekko said...
11:37 AM, August 27, 2007  

Thanks Tekko. Sports massage is set for this wkend.

Muggs said...
11:52 AM, August 27, 2007  

Post a Comment