Race: Safra Biathlon 2006

Sunday, March 26, 2006

Another late night, as like other races, I slept late and woke early. IMD and his dad were kind enough to give me a lift to the race site. Thanks! Upon reaching we saw DO grabbing some seats while we proceeded to the registration. While going for our body marking, I saw latic_acid with the group, Cyberkinetic, Skyver1810 and Rainbow. Sxuanjing was around too and all of us took some pictures before I spotted Sumiko. Along the way, Alvo and Meteor appeared too. The rest of the support crew like SportVenturer, Tiwazz, Astrogirl soon arrive with Kops21 who is also taking part today.

Race Report

Seems like it was time for the first wave, where we gathered to watch them flag off. I noticed this year's swim leg was much better organised than last year. Straight line as compared to last year's triangulation is definitely a much easier swim. *Horn sound* The first wave went off. I saw a lady who jumped into the open sea and exited out again. She seemed to be having some problem. Nevertheless, she went back into the race. Spotting some mistakes that the first wave made, I tried to spot the buoy rather than using the lines during my flag off. IMD shouted, "Scared already!", when we were the last to enter the water. Within a few minutes into my swim, I heard people shouting for help already. I looked around to see if the person was near me, in case I need to render help. It was a good 10 meters away and several swimmers there already waved to the safety, I continued ahead. The first length of my swim, IMD was spotted around me most of the time. I got a really bad bite by sea bugs I suppose, on the first lap. On the return leg, I couldn't see him. At one point, I thought I actually swam into the hull of the boat. I felt a strong wham on my head. Practically stoned for several seconds before I realised that a swimmer popped out of no where with his breaststroke kicking. He was graceful enough to wave a sorry hand signal and I waved back. I checked my directions at every 6 - 8 strokes but this still happens. Oh. What to do? As I completed my swim leg, I recalled being elbowed aside, swam across, leg pulled at or bulldozed. Sigh.

Tiwazz spotted me with IMD's camera as I exited from the swim and into the transition area. I took my time to change and rinse my mouth before catching Cyberkinetic on my way out.



Just within 500m away from the transition, IMD was already on his returning leg after the first loop at the hawker. He shouted out to me. When I turned, I saw Jennifery and then Cheow12. Cheow12 waved and shouted "Bala!" too. Once I crossed back to the transition area, Eunice was already crossing the finishing line! Good job! She was looking strong too. Penguin was just 600m behind Eunice. Our support team (Astrogirl, Alvo, Meteor, Renohtaram, Violet, SportVenturer and Tiwazz) were waving and cheering when we passed by. Further down, Sxuanjing was cheering anyone who passed her. A wonderful personality, she has! She was still around, cheering when I passed her and heading near to the finishing line. During the run course, I saw PS Chang, Phoebe and Kops21 too. In fact, my leg did hurt when I hit the first 1km. I had to control my pace, stride and perform 15min run / 2min walk to come back in good running form. I was wondering where Mythos was.. and there he came popping out at the finishing line where we grabbed a cup of ice cold Milo. I showered and changed to my new event Tee where I bumped into Phoebe and we had a short chat. She told me she got kick in the face. Owww.. I read about Kops21 being kicked in the groin too.. Double Owww.. Like what IMD said, its a whirlpool at the buoy's turning point.

Most of us went to take our lunch before meeting up with the runners doing the World Harmony Run that was happening on the same day. Kops21, SportVenturer, Hedgehog and DO joined in the run. After lots of hand shakes and photo taking, they continued their run with the WHR torch and flag. Tiwazz, Renohtaram, Meteor, Alvo and I went off to Suntec where we had more drinks. I was really thirsty. We chatted ... and most of us were really tired. Lazing in Coffee Bean and Tea Leaf was great and most already had sleepy eyes. While all of them soon went for some gym class, I could hardly endure pass 5pm. Headed home.. I caught sight of a few people stealing glances at me dozing off even while leaning near the door in the train. Unsightly! No choice.. seats were all taken.

News broke out that today's race has claimed another life. Our deepest condolences go out to the victim's family.

Posted by Muggs at 11:44 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment