Race: KL Marathon 2007

Sunday, March 18, 2007

With a mere three hours of sleep, TeeLee and my mobile phone's alarm rang. I began to question my decision in doing both events on a back to back, all in a weekend. I wanted this as a try out for my Goofy, Langkawi and as a challenge as well. Alright, I have to get up. I showered and then got TeeLee up. Within minutes, we were at the lobby. I had a muesli bar, a can of Gatorade and some gummy worms for breakfast. Some of the guys were already there. When everyone arrived, we took at slow walk to the event start point.

TLR, Kayano and Mythos were already there. We took a picture before Shut and I went to look for a toilet. I met BenRuth for the first time as well. Announcement was made for the 42km runners to gather at the starting line. I spotted EngLock who was going for the 42km as well. YeeHua and IMD came walking into the holding area. IMD encouraged me by saying, 'Make sure I don't catch up with you, Slacker.' Haahha! Without much coordination between the Emcee and the Guest of Honor, the bang (signaling the start of the race) went off while the Emcee was introducing him. The clock started and everyone ran off. Reminder: Do not speed up. That was the message that was appearing over and over again. I am sure my legs and knees will thank me for that. At the 5km mark, IMD and TeeLee who belongs to a different league sped ahead. At 10km, Shut took off as well. There was quite a few stretch of the race that we had to run on the highway. The carbon monoxide from exhaust was something that we had to fight. There were plenty of motorists who cheered us as we ran past them. At 15km, I was running low on fuel in my system. I was hungry. I went to the Petrol to relieve myself before I emptied a pack of PowerGel into my stomach. I took a 5mins walk before I saw Andy, who seem to have problems with his foot. We wished each other good luck before I ran off. At 25km mark, I was hungry again and I had to consume another PowerGel. It was around 27km that I overtook Tricia. We saw the start point ahead of us. But, we had to turn right to continue our journey. That was like to take a candy bar away from a child after showing it to him. At the 30km mark, I collected the extra PowerGel pack from the volunteers and I randomly thought of Shut, wondering how did he do. Within another km or two, I caught up with him as he was having problems with his knees. I wish him good luck before I carried on with my run. By then, I had abrasion on my right thigh. Maybe its time to upgrade to racing tights? At the 37km mark, I spotted Babumouse walking. I thought he was having his walk breaks. But, it seems that he was having problems as well. I cheer him on as I ran pass. At around the 40km mark, I noticed that it was the same route as the 10km Mizuno run. There will be a slope ahead!!! As I battled the slope, putting a foot forward each time, I saw Jeffrey ahead. He was struggling as well. I called out to him and we exchanged well wishes. Another one more km and I will finish this race! As I ran, I cheered those around. I managed to chat and run with a Caucasian (with an Australian accent) towards the finishing line. At the last bend, where I saw Sotong and Roonz, I waved madly at them! I was really happy to see them there! Such a morale booster! Runwitme saw me and shouted out for me as well! I crossed the finishing line at 4hrs and 50mins. I turned around to shake the Caucasian guy's hand. 'Good run!!!', we said together! I collect the goodies pack before looking for my friends. We gathered and waited for the rest to be back. IMD who saw me, shouted 'Yo, Slacker!' across. Haaha... I guess everyone knows I am a slacker for sure. I waved. As Ronnie talked about his battle with cramps, Mythos, SV and Shut made their way back too! RealRunner did a sub 4hr race. IMD and TeeLee had a comfortable pace and yet good timings for the marathon. Fennel and YihHua did well and held positions in the race table. Well done guys! A few of us signed up for the Penang Marathon before we headed back to the hotel. Another suffering challenge we have committed ahead in June?

We showered and slept a little before we checked out for our lunch at A&W. I treated Roonz to a Coney Dog Meal (Root Beer Float included) to thank her for the two PowerGel packs she helped me to buy. Those were a life saver for me during my race! Most of us walked around Chinatown before gathering at the hotel again and then boarding our bus at 4pm. Within 9pm, we were back across the border. IMD, YeeHua and I took the train of the same direction back home. I took my dinner before clearing some laundry to end my racing weekend!

I am glad to see my two good friends better than a 'so far so good'.

For both events, I did not bring along a camera to witness my journey. But, I shall just leave you with this picture (of me chatting with Mythos on the right) from the Preferred Professional Photographer, Roonz. My ugly toe socks were hidden behind the goodies pack! Battle scars, another black toe nail and a duck walk posture. All from a weekend's worth of race.

Posted by Muggs at 11:30 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment