Race: Army Half Marathon 2006

Sunday, August 27, 2006

I could hardly sleep last night. Don't have to wonder why. The living room was still pretty noisy till 1am. Woke up by my alarm clock, I felt drained. Karloong asked me if I was crazy to wake up at 3am. Yes, I am and I have a run. *Karloong eyes roll* Cereal to fill my tummy! I packed, grabbed my stuff and waited at the pick up point for IMD. IMD arrived with his meimei and another friend, Benson. I've seen Benson before!! I asked him is he used to run around Queenstown stadium. He is one prominent dude because of his speed on the tracks. Speed monster!

IMD parked his car and we walked towards event holding area. While warming up, I greeted a few familiar faces. Moving over to the start line, we began to see more runners we know. 5.30am. The race was flagged off. I ran at a slightly faster than comfortable race pace initially. By the 8km mark, I ran into the toilet to relive myself. Around 10km mark, I was significantly slower, just to avoid the old injury from coming back. Curses!! Something else surfaced! Stitch and my right big toenail problem. It only went off around 15km. (v_v)

Apart from that, I was stopped at traffic for approximately 7 or 8 times. Well... running in the city has always been this way. Kinda expected that, so not complaining. I was only picking up some speed around the 18km area. Crossing the line in good condition is important for me now. Everything else is secondary. Not exactly the timing I would like to have (not important for now). Feeling glad that my legs were fine and my right knee held up well. There were quite a handful of runners, that I know, are already back with very good timings. I chatted with many different runners before heading out further away before the finishing line. I cheered those who are coming in. A lot of familar faces ran passed me!! Races. A great way to spot old friends. Somehow, it rained!

Most gathered at Marina Square food court for our breakfast and a couple of us went over to Starbucks to catch a second cup of coffee. The famous second wind?

Posted by Muggs at 8:53 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment