Sad Post

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

I guess the title suggest very much what this whole post will be…. sad. I’m sitting down with a cup of 3-in-1 coffee recollecting what I went through today. Erm… not exactly good coffee though….

This post in particular is just my own opinion. Read at your own risk.

A little late for work today and I am suppose to be lead to the office today by my colleague. Another colleague came lead the way from my hotel to office. Meeting kicked off with some briefing of what is expected for my attachment here. I cleared some Emails with some multitasking chit chats over MSN with some running friends. Lunch was on the house by the local office boss. Sorry no pics on the food, it seemed a little rude to me to take pictures. Pretty decent food to me. Back to work and I received instructions to head over to WuXi for this Friday and JiangSu’s YanCheng next week. Expect to conduct some training to end customers. Just before leaving the office for the day, my Chinese colleagues asked me what I do back at home. I said, "Running". They were not exactly ready to hear the number 42. I told them the Kenyans' timing at average of 2hrs 15mins. They said, "他妈的! 我们二十个人接力都不一定跑得赢!!"

Someone I know from hometown came to Shanghai for leisure today (who happens to be a good friend of the local office boss). We went out for dinner and talked about having me to come back in October to conduct some training to the local engineers here. It seems like drinking (entertaining) is inevitable. I have not been drinking for… lost count. I don’t really enjoy drinking anyway. To entertain, I don’t think one or two mugs of beer would do. Hanging out at a pub with lot of Chinese girls where I don’t really feel comfortable. Seeing a 40-ish Caucasian frenching a Chinese young girl, .. ladies sitting on guys’ thighs .. shit. . .. I just want to get out and read my book in the hotel. Or probably run on the streets. Air over here is not too good. Most of the girls are hanging out with the Caucasians. A Chinese lady (waitress) came over to chat with us, asking us where we are from and what business we have in Shanghai. She said we looked too serious to be approachable. We chatted quite a while before she had to take orders from other tables. Another Chinese lady (but transvestite) looking asked my associates for cigarettes and them to buy her a drink. After giving her some lame excuse that we are leaving, she got pissed and went to another table. Sad to say that my associates are hoping for some hook ups.

We left and took a cab back to our hotel, where I bought some water. Here I am, with my cup of less than satisfied coffee, typing this entry. Damn, I wish I am doing some tracks in stadium, burning some rubber now. Entertaining in this area is just not my cup of tea. Why sad post then? Well, I know for the fact that some “entertainment” (extras) happens around the world. But, work might not be about what you can do (technically). It is about what you can offer and who you know. Sad but true. Maybe one day, when I retire, I shall contribute to charity work, where “entertainment” is not required. It is all about how we contribute through our hearts, sincerely.

Sigh… more “entertainment” this weekend. I will stick to my beliefs. Probably, I am just a stick in the mud. Got to sleep .. still need to do O.T. after office hours tomorrow.

Posted by Muggs at 11:58 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment