Back Alleys

Saturday, September 23, 2006

I followed LonelyPlanet guide to find the tea pot store that they recommended. It is quite a fair distance of walk away from my hotel. The tea pots are indeed of some standard. However, they were a little too pricy to what I would want to fork out at that level.


Since 新天地 is just around the corner, a good 800m away, I walked there while taking pictures along the way. The whole 新天地 is the same as two years back. Well, the only difference is that the restaurant serving our local delights has closed down, taken over by a pizza restaurant.

Wooops.. lunch time. I went to a recommended restaurant selling 锅贴. Let me tell you, it was packed!!! Left with no choice, I went to MacDonalds. S$2 for a mini meal, I could not complain. Alone, getting a seat is difficult. People still want to cut queues everywhere!! POS! After my meal, walking along the familiar 淮海中路, I decided to take the Metro to 徐家汇. Trying to look for the oldest temple in Shanghai, I failed. Some roads have changed and are not reflected on the map. I had to turn back since it was getting late and near the closing time too.


Since I thought of taking my dinner around my hotel area, I dropped my bag and took the Metro again to 静安寺 area's 园园餐厅. Same outcome, a packed restaurant filled with locals. Though not a big place, I got to eat what the local eat, right?! Damn ... Anyway, I was not that hungry yet. I took the Metro back to my hotel stop and walked the back alley around my hotel area. A bazzaar looking stretch and I walked a little since I had a little adventurous voice in me saying, “C’mon!”. I admit that I was really surprised that where this whole stretch led me to. Approximately 600m long of stores selling food and wares in front of restaurants. The whole pack is jam packed with people!! Lots of yummy stuff like smelly toufu, BBQ squids, BBQ buffalo wings, sugar cane juice, cold drinks snacks and more! I chose a safer bet of 锅贴 in a restaurant for S$1. But, I think the lady overcharged everyone since the queue was long. No morals ... Money is everything. I left the stretch and found another restaurant that sells good mushroom noodles for S$1.50. I was bloated by the time I finished the bowl of noodles.


While watching the T.V. program, someone delivered my laundry. What’s wrong with these people?! I could whiff the smell of cigarettes from my 2 pieces of Polo. I can never trust these people. That’s it!!! No more. I flipped the LonelyPlanet guide and planned my route of movement for tomorrow before I fell asleep.

Posted by Muggs at 11:19 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment