Ultramarathon BBQ

Monday, December 26, 2005

I shall never forget how I spent my time on Christmas day in Year 2005. Many would choose to shop around the malls or some might even stay at home to catch some T.V. programmes.

I had two wonderful slots in my organizer today, not forgetting to mention meaning ones too. Start with Event Number One, shall we?

Event Number One: Ultramarathon 2005
Christmas eve .. I tried to sleep early. No, .. I only managed to doze of at 0200hrs, lying on the bed all the while. I'm not sure if I was excited about the event or anything else. I wasn't even going to run at the Ultramarathon!! Oh, due to my ankle. Its been good for now. Nevertheless, I just want to rest it. I will be the support staff for tomorrow's event.

With only 3 hours of sleep, I SMS-ed Seal to tell him to go ahead to the Ultramarathon. I needed a little more sleep to see me through the night event on Christmas day. By then, the skies turned red and was accompanied by rain and lightning. Heavy downpour! Through SMSes, updates told me that the race started by an hour late. I woke up at 0900hrs with Kops21's SMS asking for Don Pies address. The skies cleared. I got the address online and posted a live update for Brokenrunner. Getting out of the house, I bought some pratas with sugar for the guys to "power-up" during refueling. Jamessoh was there already and Sotong started the ordeal just when he felt that the weather got better.

I reached MR and saw Jamessoh. Some of them already finishing their 3rd round. As a support staff, I help in getting drinks, food and stuff for the rest of the runners, making them as comfortable as possible. Kops21 bought Don Pies and I got them some pratas with sugar. Ultraman and
Jamessoh supplied 100Plus. Jamessoh went on to support some of the runners by doing a few laps with them. I stayed behind. News of DO came when Dreamrunner finished his 3rd round. DO's old injuries came and he had to stop his race. He joined me as a support staff. I ran around taking pictures of runners as they came in. Refueling and taking a couple of minutes of deserved rest. It was around this time, where Kay and Dasher appeared in MR as pacers too. Run.run.runaway is strong! She has a rather quick finishing time of 5 laps. I bet she can do more. "Enough!", she said. Weishan looks really tired but determined. The late morning weather was great. It turned a little nasty by 1400-1600hrs. The sun was punishing runners. TLR was doing his 6th round already. Taz was doing his 5th and still going strong. Astrogirl looked strong too! Sotong, Superboy82, Tiwazz, 136Fallschirmjäger, Cokiee, Seal, YankeeII and many others did well too.



What fascinated me most, would be the 80+ year old uncle who ran the Ultramarathon! He was slow and steady, taking his coffee between breaks. No power bars and stuff like that. He was just taking biscuits. He completed the 5 laps and everyone cheered. The applaude was as loud as the morning's thunder! Simply amazing stuff!! He made anyone of us looked like a senior citizen, anytime!



Several surprises of the day. The 80+ year old uncle. TLR did 8 rounds, Taz did 7 rounds, Ultraman and Garfield did 7 rounds too. Astrogirl, Dreamrunner and Philip did 6 rounds. Most completed the 5 laps.

Alvo2102 and Meteor went on for a romantic walk around the 10.5km route. Came back hand in hand. LOL!

I had my portion of fun as a support staff too. Being there for those in the race simply let me have more time to observe everyone feelings. Everyone's endurance, determination, mental power was superb! I regret not being able to stir some dust, sand, dirt and gravel in the trails with them. Not able to get muddy, dirty and wet with the puddles in the greenery. However, never did I regret spending my day with them, getting them seats, food, water and comfort stuff. I look forward and will be getting dirty with you guys in 2006!

Event Number Two: Sec Sch BBQ
19 years. That is how long we have known we have known each other since the first day we sat in the same class! Friends ... bonds that have been tested through time and for many more years to come. Usually around this time of the year (year ends), our 1G or 2G class (we always like to call it 2G, because we've grown closer by then)would organise a BBQ. Catching up on each other's lives, basically a gathering to renew ties and bonds. Of course, we would meet a few times in a year. But, year ends are usually BBQ sessions.

Great news. 3 soon-to-be mummies!! Happy for them that these guys are going to be dads too! We were all excited and talk about our 20th anniversary for knowing each other. I guess next year's event will be a grand one. $10 each for our BBQ dinner, that's pretty okay! Next year is our 20th Anniversary!! We hope to plan something grand!

Plenty of food and drinks were left. We played some games to make each other finish up the leftovers before we head home.



My thoughts for the day ....
The heavy downpour early in the morning might have dampened our Asics, New Balance, Saucony, Nike, Adidas and more... plus Mizuno (Tiwazz's) Wahaaha
But, it will never dampen the Ultra-Completion-Spirit!!!

Congrats!! Job well done to all Ultramen and Ultrawomen that have been through transformation today!

Posted by Muggs at 2:09 AM  

4 comments:

Very good report! And wonderful comic strip :) Yet again, another quality Balasing production ;)

Renohtaram said...
11:59 PM, December 26, 2005  

bala...

solid FR on MR ultra...
this pics editing is the best so far..
really capture everyone in it...:)

how come no mentioning of mizuno shoes har...:)

Anonymous said...
12:02 AM, December 27, 2005  

paiseh to wake u up at 9am...;)

enjoy ur report. Cool...;)

kops21 said...
12:20 AM, December 27, 2005  

reno -> I always enjoy my time with you guys!

tiwazz -> hhahh.. yeah.. I got your Mizuno shoes in.

kops21 -> no problemo. I need to wake up and head over anyway.

Muggs said...
12:54 AM, December 27, 2005  

Post a Comment