Carbo Load - SCSM 2005

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Hmm ... long story cut short. I wish I can write more.

Haven't been logging in to running forum for a week. Only places I have been logging in are work related forums and websites.

Yesterday, before meeting up with the runners for a carbo loading session, I dropped by a watch shop to Meistersinger Scrypto 1Z. Bad move. Damn.... too sexy. Got to stay away.

I ran off to join the guys at Swensens. We took up like 20 over seats. I walked around to mingle around. It was really nice meeting most of the runners here. We even had a HK runner joining us in the carbo loading session. I bade farewell to the rest, asking everyone to have an early night rest. I'm just doing a 21km. No pressure. We have quite a number of marathon virgins this year.

Today, I woke up at 4am, changed and ate before heading to the event area. At the baggage area, I saw LaoKaYu. Commando was doing his warm up run before the race. I bumped into Freddy and we decided to go together, since we are doing the 21km. However, he went ahead to squeeze in near to the start line. I usually prefer the back. *Bang* We started at 6.30am. The full marathon started half an hour early. I couldn't spot anyone during the start of my run. Damn.... first light isn't here yet and I saw the Kenyans at the return leg at 10km mark. 10km - 30mins. *faint* World class. I caught sight of SuperBoy and did quite a distance with him. Opposite side of the road, return leg, we saw TLR, Dreamrunner, Carine and Sumiko. I saw Vege, my NS platoon mate. SuperBoy had to rush to the toilet and I went ahead. I caught up with Eunice and waved in front of her before she had earphones on. "JIAYOU"! She shriek. Hahhaa... probably because she had earphones on. On the way out of the return leg, I saw Tiwazz. He was really focused. Spotted LehLioGirl, she was doing a 10km?! She can do more! Ooops... the left ankle is acting funny again. By this time, Phishy intercepted me and went ahead. She was going strong. I did not see anyone else that I know until slightly before the 21km U-turn point. Meteor still looking strong. By now, Eunice ran passed me and said, "JiaYou"! I think she can go close to sub-2hrs. I think I was compensating for my left ankle that it affects my right knee. With my right knee old injury... it just did not help. At around 18km, I think, I saw Mrs Sotong, still far behind. I finished off... and collected my medal. Disappointed that I had to do run/walk. I never did run/walk for 21km.

Next ordeal, baggage collection. I am seriously not happy. I think this year was really bad arrangement and organising of baggage claims. I stood in the sun for 2hrs, equivalent to another 21km run. When most people went in to get their own baggage, I jumped in too. Within seconds..... I found mine. Damn. I looked for Bee, Brokenrunner and Tiwazz at the last 1km mark before end point. I was looking out for our own runners to cheer them. Tiwazz paced and encouraged a few in their last 500m. I ended up cheering strangers. LOL. I didn't mind. They didn't too! A few said thanks. As a marathon runner (before), I understand how it feels to have encouragement from people. An applause will do. It certainly would help. Dont' say things like, "Run faster. Don't slow down.". Just smile and clap. People will appreciate. I saw Phoebe too. I cheered for a lot of our runners. Pretty, LittleFoot, jamessoh, True_Atlantean, YankeeII, Cheow12, Clive, Kops21, tekko, osama, Cokiee, Slacker, Flip, Slacker, Cyberkinetic, Astrogirl, CheeryRunner, Penguin, Dong, Sotong, Spectre, 136Fallschirmjäger, chpear, BigMouth, Mythos, Philip and more. I promised to run with Philip for the last 10km. But, damn, the baggage claim took me 2hrs... thanks so much. So, I only managed to cheer him for the last 500m. Running with him to the finish line at the last burst of fire.



Most had a great race. A few of them had cramps too. Nevertheless, everyone did a great job. I wasn't too happy with my results. But, that is part of runner. Injuries and all comes in a package. Stalemate, this time. See you all in 2006. Till then, the marathon monster shall be conquered.

Okay, back to reading work stuff.

Posted by Muggs at 8:25 PM  

2 comments:

wah... Did i shriek? That's my normal voice leh...thou i noe my voice can be high-pitched at times. Nah, din sub 2hours. Would wish to, but I dun push myself hard enough!:p Take care of your ankle and knee... Maybe shud do ur recovery runs on the rubberised track in stadium for more cushioning. Impact wun be that great on the joints too. Take care!

Anonymous said...
12:19 AM, December 15, 2005  

hahha.... shriek? ya.. a little.. very cute .. LOL

Muggs said...
4:28 PM, December 15, 2005  

Post a Comment