A Brave Marathoner and Mother

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

I am proud of her. Amazed by her courage. Determination is the word. Did I mention that she's a mother of two kids, in our local running scene? Who says you can't do a marathon? This is simply inspiring for most of us. Several almost teared just by reading. I had to post her writing.

(Quote from Yojanjan)
quick report of what happened, i tripped over an ice mountain cap at 6+km (these pp should really throw the bottles AND the caps off the road *#&$^*#&), and then again at 11km (i think) when i was too close to the left of road, avoiding the fast 21km pp running up, and twisted the same left ankle again where the road slope towards the drain, ran funny after that and developed a blister.

hot hot hot weather, but i had the great support of hubby and my best friend along the way at 12km, 20km, 28km and 31km, who gave me my supplies and heat rub, and most of all, the short term target to see them soon.

much appreciated the support of various sgrunners, cyberkinetic who gave me an intro run at esplanade the week before (feels like sooo long ago liao), gentle for helping to hook me up with clive, clive and wifey (joanne) who gave me a free lift to padang in their hired cab, sotong/ yankee/ gentle/ taz/ runalone runrunrunaway/ astrogirl sorry i dont remember correctly who met up with me at pen and wanted to keep me company (but i move backed since i didnt want to go out too fast and die early), yankee who shouted encouragement, and philip who "barked" (darn fierce, but that got me giggling) at me to run at ECP.

yes i did it, running, walking, jogging and hobbling, by counting steps (run 100 steps and walk 2min) for the last 14-15km. and the adrenaline rush at the last 200m got me sprinting across the line, and then i cried.

it occurred to me just, that it didnt occur to me to "not finish", even tho my pace was off by almost 1 hour coming into the half point, and i had hoped to finish sub7 or early 7. could have been sheer stubbornness and stupidity, but i really really wanted the medal, and i really wanted to earn it properly, and last but not least i would have hated to come in and report that i DNF.

it turned out my times were 7:48:15/ 7:53:24, better than my butter fingered timing on my watch.

i guess it is too late to cancel the order for the flowers? so i'll humbly accept, with thanks to all, for your company, support, encouragement and advice in my journey towards my first marathon finish. *curtsy*
(Unquote)

We decided to send her flowers for finishing her first marathon. Yojanjan, we love you!!! *muakz*

Posted by Muggs at 2:11 AM  

3 comments:

ALMOST 8 HOURS? UAU, A COMPLETE DAYLIGHT?

Anonymous said...
10:53 PM, December 07, 2005  

yep... 8hrs.

Muggs said...
11:48 PM, December 07, 2005  

This is impressive isn't it? Its spurs me on to go for half marathon next yr!! Kudos!

Anonymous said...
9:20 PM, December 08, 2005  

Post a Comment