My First Triathlon Experience

Monday, July 04, 2005

Now, this race experience is a really long post. Here goes nothing ....

3rd Jul 2005. Triathlon Race day. Since I was at the chalet which is really near to the race compound (which is like a 5min slow bike ride), I woke up slightly later. At 0520hrs, the rest of the guys (RanchuKing, ChiefClerk, Conan and Xena) are still in slumber land. I did some washing up before munching down 2 bananas. Heck.... why bathe when you're about to jump into the open sea for a 1.5km swim, right? Okay, I was being downight dirty then. After performing some water parading, I woke RanchuKing up to lock the door.

I proceeded to the race compound while the sky was still dark. I laid out all my stuff, doing my own rehearsal at the same time. A friendly chap offered to write my race number on my arms and legs using perm marker while I returned the favor too. We were then chatting about the race. There were so many gorgeous bikes around!! I think all the bikes in this holding area would have mounted up to a total worth of a few hundred thousands of dollars!! Maybe even a million! I looked around but I couldn't find any familiar faces. But, I spotted Biker Boey!!! She don't know me. I recognised her right away from Kisetsu's albums. She was doing the relay.

The swim leg: 1.5km
Emcee made the announcement to gather for a race briefing. " ... turn at the yellow buoy .. swim outside the .. watch the currents .. no kicking ... Aright!! We're ready to roll!!" I saw ickleOriental!!! But, I think she was giving some last minute encouragements to Andrew. So, I didn't went over to say hi. I didn't want to interrupt. She wasn't in her swim wear, and so I thought she was injured. Well, after reading her journal, I found out that she was doing the sprint race. "Purple caps, if you would gather in the starting line", the Emcee announced. It was Muggs's turn to line up for the open water swim. The horn went off and we all made splashed as the waves came in. No kicking? Says who? I was scratched and kicked at, several times. I even helped myself with a mouthful of sea water. But, still .. . I feel that I was going at a steady pace. I exited the swim and got out of the beach area at around 47mins and headed for my bike. Shite!! I wanted to pee ... Damn it.... but the toilet was out of the way... Mind over matter.. ... Endurance, I told myself.

The bike leg: 40km
I mounted my bike and went off. In this leg, my tyres went over countless opened PowerGel packets!! There were too much to see in this leg of the race. I heard bike crashes behind me (which I didn't turn too see, didn't want to loose concentration). I saw a bike crash across the other side. Everyone is going at such high speed!! Everyone is shouting, "Bike on your right!!" or "Keep left!!" to warn cyclist ahead. Some even shouted, "Slow down!!", to warn dangers ahead. A fellow cyclist with a bleeding left elbow (fresh wounds, apparantly from a crash or fall), continued with full speed ahead. I was even amazed when I saw a cyclist with a mountain bike that has a toddler chair mounted behind him!! It isn't exactly a thing to laugh at. But, talk about determination to race!! You can almost race in anything!! I witnessed a biker (kind enough to stop his bike) running back to retrieve his bottle that fell on the road. However, he fumbled, tripped and fell before getting to his bottle. He was really considerate. At my last round, I saw a fellow cyclist who went down. I stopped by to ask if he needed any help. He said he is okay. I wished him luck before going off. I passed the friendly fella who offered to mark my race number on my arms before the race started. "'C'mon man!! Last lap!!", I shouted. "Okay!! Last lap already!", he replied. Our morale were still pretty high!! As I approached the bike dismounting line, I saw another fellow biker in front of me. She was on a mountain bike with slicks. Already at a slow speed, I did an E-brake when I saw her fumbling and falling off the bike. The official was telling her to dismount. But, I think she was nervous. If I were to hit the mountain bike, even at the slowed speed, my GreyHound would R.I.P.. As my bike stopped, I had a slight bad twist at my left ankle. At this time??!!! I still have another 10km give my legs a good pounding!! I took several minutes off to stretch and rotate my left ankle. Finishing the race, injury free is more important than timing. I stretched my quads well enough before moving out for my run.

The run leg: 10km
Damn!!! My bladder was going to burst!! A quarter of my run, I spotted a washroom and I headed straight for it!! Ahhhh!! Relieved, I continued my race. Now, the most inspiring round in this race. It is the things that I saw in this leg of the race that made me so moved that I would want to race till the day I can't do it anymore. I saw a fellow triathlete, who is 60yrs and above (I did a check on his race results), and his race timing is slightly more than mine!! I passed him and I cheered him on by giving a friendly smile. Next, I saw the most touching thing of human fighting spirit in this race. A gentleman, with only a right arm (clearly, his left arm was amputated) raced on with his head high! Seriously, given the fact that I was tired, I almost teared (moved by his determination). I totally respected the man for his physical and mental strength! Ladies and gentlemen who are totally overweight (pardon me for being rude), gave triathlon a shot too. They completed the race with so much grace. I saw SehSuan (he didn't know who I was too). He was on his bike. I don't think he was in the race. I saw Phoebe twice on the opposite side of the running track. But, I couldn't call out to her. Tired, man. While I completed this race, I felt great even though I felt drained physically. I smiled at my first shiny Triathlon finishers medal. Oops .. I already have sunburn!!

End of my Triathlon. 1.5km of swim, 40km of cycle and 10km of run. Not exactly the greatest... but, I feel accomplished for my goal.

Hey!! I managed to see Phoebe again when I was at the exit point of the bike compound. I said hi to her. She was quite puzzled about who I was at first. But, after explaining to her who I was, it was "Ohhhh... . so it's you.". Hahahah. See you around!!

So, to all those Triathletes to be ... "Believe in yourself, train hard, train sensible, follow your dreams!". Quit saying, "I don't think I can do it.". If they can do it, so can you:
1) Cyclist falling to his knees just to recover his water bottle.
2) Cyclist with a bleeding left elbow at full speed ahead.
3) Cyclist racing using a mountain bike mounted with a toddler chair behind. Talk about drag!!
4) Over 60year old gentleman, completing the race.
5) More obese fellow triathletes completing the race.
6) A gentlemen with an amputated left arm racing his way through. Think of all the determination he has in order to make it through the swimming and cycling leg of the race!!! For this, I salute him from the bottom of my heart!!

Completing the race already makes one a winner!!

This is why I enjoy races so much. The things that I witness are so motivating. Touches one's heart. One of the greatest fighting spirits in mankind would be the passion that one has in sports.
Man, it feels great to be alive and kicking. See you in Triathlon 2006.

*wink* No training tonight. Rest.

Posted by Muggs at 9:41 PM  

4 comments:

Wow...ur first race and u joined the olympic distance?!!
I salute u too!!
I saw the one armed guy too...I was actually one of the swim marshall on day 2...
Sorry din see u reply earlier to leave my bib no...shld have asked for urs too...can cheer u on at the swim leg...oh well...maybe next time...NB real run?

penguin said...
11:42 PM, July 04, 2005  

:) Mmm ... sorry, couldn't cheer you at the race. No problem. I'll see you at the NB Real Run.

Muggs said...
11:49 PM, July 04, 2005  

Good write. It's so awesome to be in the race. Then again, I don think I will ever have the determination to do all that.

Well done.

Anonymous said...
5:51 PM, July 05, 2005  

c'mon ... you should join us.. like Biker Boey

Muggs said...
6:21 PM, July 05, 2005  

Post a Comment