Race: SCSM 2006

Monday, December 04, 2006

Huh?! What?! Time to wake up?! My beeping alarm clock clearly showed 2.45am. Felt like I just fell asleep. I think I slept for just 2 hours. I wish I could snuggle up in bed but I can't. It is Redemption Day afterall! My wish for the whole of this year is to come back in good condition, crossing the finishing line in style.

Year 2002 Marathon - Came back limping, Year 2003 - Injured, Year 2004 - Work commitment, Year 2005 - Half Marathon.

I got out of bed and was surprised to find Karloong and Bala still up. They were surprised to find me waking up so early for my Marathon breakfast. Nevertheless, they joined me for my breakfast at the coffeeshop since MacDonalds is not serving their breakfast meals before 4am. We chatted while I had my Ba Chor Mee (Mince Meat Noodles), 2 sandwiches and a cup of coffee. Once back at home, I did some light stretching before gearing up. I grabbed all my stuff I packed the night before and walked to the pick up point to meet Charlotte and my ex-colleague, SK, who is coming to drive us to the race. With no expectation of any timing, I brought along my MP3 player, CamelBak, 2 PowerGels, mobile phone, ID and my trusty Canon A410.

Alighting at my ex-company, around the race area, we walked towards the Padang. SK and I queued for restrooms before doing our stretching. Cosmic and Raymond were the only familiar faces I saw before the flag off.

SK and I squeezed through the crowd, making our way nearer to the start point. SK accelerated and I went on my own. I kept reminding myself not to run too fast at early stages of this race. I ran too fast, too early in many long distance races, resulting in a struggling-to-finish condition. Around the Lau Pa Sat area, I said "Hi" to Cokiee. I hope that his ankle will be okay. Right at the turning point to join the highway, IMD took a picture of me and sped off. "Don't let me catch you slacking!!", said IMD. Ha!! I am suppose to enjoy this Marathon! Taking sips from my Camelbak, I avoided water points for the first 12km. I waved to TeeLee, OP and Babumouse around the Marina South Ferry Terminal. These guys are fast! Doraemon_Red too!! On the return leg of the Marina South, I saw Sassyrunner and Sumiko who were already racing hard in their 21km category. I waved to Renohtaram too, who did his 21km as well. I tried to spot familiar faces along the way out of Marina South but failed to find any more. I stopped and stretched around the 12km area. My plan... to stretch at intervals.. and I will stick to it. Hey! The sky is getting brighter... time to bring out my camera. I took shots along the way. Occasionally, I hear giggles from runners who ran behind me. Must be my Adidas "Reason To Run" BIB. Back at the Fullerton side of Esplanade, I could see runners queuing up for their 10km flag off. Just after the Esplanade, I caught up with SK and we ran together on our way to Fort Road. I was happy to see the 21km marking near Fort Road. Half way mark! I waved to Commando as I ran pass him and was surprised to see Siong beside me too! I could see dads, mums, children, spouses cheering for their love ones with their hand made banners. A touching scene indeed.


Once into the East Coast Park sretch, it was not that long before we were greeted with PowerGels distribution and an All-kids cheering team! Cute! Further down, we were all on the other side of the 30km mark support table. I tried to wave to the guys. But, I was not able to catch their attention. However, I did see Rooonz, JamesSoh and KickJazz. I was high in spirits when they waved back! Come on! We're still going on strong! I started to load a pack of chocolate flavored PowerGel around 24km, flushing it down with plain water. Fast runners like Sam, DO, IMd and Ultraman were spotted on the return leg while I continued my loop towards the East Coast Hawker Centre. When I turned back after looping the lagoon, I caught sight of Cheow, SuperBoy and LTChua. Thumbs up!! Let's go!! Within some 1km down the road, Brokie caught up with me and said "Hi" before speeding off. It was around this point where I saw Ronnie down with cramps as well. Since someone was attending to him, I went ahead.

Around 28km of the route, I caught up with Choonwei who was doing pacing for 4 hours 30 mins group and I ran with him up to 30km mark. I saw Eunice at the other side of the road as I waved out to her. We passed Aichai on the other side of the route, while he led the 5 hour pace group. At the 30km support table, the supporters (namely AlecChua, Rooonz, FD, KickJazz, JamesSoh, Tekko, ACLeong's son and Shut's gf) were really energetic and helpful in providing assistance to us, getting our personal stuff and providing sponges for cool downs. Happy to see all my friends at the support table!! I continued my journey with my head up high! I passed the All-kids cheering team, a band and a pom pom girls cheering team before I left for Fort Road. I discovered that my pace dropped a little around the 33km mark. Cfred cheered "JiaYou!" as he ran pass me. Dasher overtook me at the 35km mark as well. As I turned into the National Stadium area, I saw Ronnie walking in an uncomfortable posture. I believe that he was in cramps again. I cheered Ronnie to carry on as I ran past. Babumouse spotted ahead!! He seemed to be suffering from cramps as he stopped and dropped to the ground. I ran forward to help him stretch his calf muscle before professional help came to take over. Babumouse asked me to carry on. I pressed on in my own journey. Soon, I came across a fellow Indian runner who seems to be struggling between walks and runs. I greeted him and promised him a finisher medal ... erm. ... well.. he paid for the medal anyway! At 37km mark, I spotted another band keeping our morale high with their drumming. I took a picture of them and one of the members saluted to me, signifying a thank-you. I returned the favor! At this point, can I say I hit the wall? A rush of emotions suddenly swept towards me. I recalled the moments of time spent with my maternal grand-mother. I wish I could tell her, "This is for you!", and I am proud to be your grand-son. I got hold of my thoughts and emotions and told myself, "Let's finish this!".


Just after the 38km, Fennel was spotted. Encouraging her that we are within the 4 hours 30 mins range, she steadily paced herself towards the finishing line. I greeted a relaxed looking Alvo at the 39km. We exchanged a few words before he went ahead. I continued my pace to 40km mark where I met 2 Caucasian ladies cheering and encouraging marathoners to push on. They were so spontaneous to pose when I took my camera out! Ha! By this time, I bumped into Vege, my NS mate, and we ran the last stretch together till Esplanade where he asked me to go ahead. "Bala!!", I heard Charlotte calling out to me. Bee and YeeHua were next seen along the way, shouting "Bala! Wa... Camera some more!". Haahha. All thanks to strangers who were cheering for us at the Esplanade to the Finishing Line stretch. I did a thumbs up and waving all the way as a token of appreciation. I took a few quick snaps before cross the line.....


My wish came true. Happy that I completed the race in one piece. No limping. Not like the Year 2002.

Completed! Chip Time Approx. 4hrs 26min. Surprise! Many thanks to the supporters at the 30km mark table! You made this race possible for me and many others runners as well. Knowing so many running friends for this past one year has been the greatest thing that has happened.


After the race, I collect my finisher medal and Tee before replenishing my lost fluids with 100plus. I met up with the rest of my running friends for a couple of pictures. Penguin paced DreamerGal to finish her 10km! Good job! EndlessTrail and Donkey completed their 10km as well!! Fantastic!!

Posted by Muggs at 9:13 AM  

8 comments:

yo, u did well.

Give ourselves a pat on the back for the completion of this gruelling race.

Well done dude !

Warm Regards
The SuperHero

Anonymous said...
3:30 PM, December 04, 2006  

elite runner, well done ;)

Renohtaram said...
8:26 PM, December 04, 2006  

Well-done ! Thanks for giving me the encouragement along the way ! Btw, you look so relax during the run !

Ronnie said...
10:41 PM, December 04, 2006  

thanks Reno! Haa... not elite.

Ronnie! No problem! I'm happy to wave to anyone I know along the way too. A definite morale booster for me!

Muggs said...
10:52 PM, December 04, 2006  

SuperHero completed as well!

Muggs said...
10:54 PM, December 04, 2006  

haha....yeah !

now i know you as " elite runner ", u do look very relax, calm & motivated during the run.

let's run towards our goals !

SuperHero

Anonymous said...
11:00 PM, December 04, 2006  

Well done, Uncle! Didn't know uncle is an elite runner. :) 'Got eye don't know mountain'. :-p

Congrats!!!

JT said...
11:02 PM, December 04, 2006  

Hmm ... wonder if I'll ever be able to make it thru the entire 42Km! Ha ha ... Well, only time will tell, I suppose.

Anonymous said...
10:24 PM, December 05, 2006  

Post a Comment