Capsize Me: Part 1

Saturday, May 19, 2007

Today is the first day of my 2 Star kayaking course. 2 fellow 1 star classmates: Sam was already there while Teresa was sick and had to call it off. Soon, the class filled up to 9 attendees and theory was first conducted before we launch off. Our practical was conducted using Perception Dancers. Personally, I preferred the shape of a Dancer. Upon launch off, I got this feeling that the direction sense in a forward paddle seemed easier. Due to the shape of a Dancer, it is less maneuverable and more prone to capsizing. Immediately, it was proven with a fellow classmate executing an accidental "capsize drill". As a recap of drills learned in 1 Star, we were asked to practise them once again. A refresher to those who have long forgotten the skills.

The instructor demonstrated a 3 steps way to empty water using the See-Saw method, which has enlightened a few of us. We learned and practised a "T" rescue or 1-man rescuer method. I was asked buddy up with a lady called Denise. Breaking for lunch, we saw Taz and KJ walking towards us. They have just finished their lunch and went ahead to practise their kayaking skills. A quick bite and we went back to the centre for more exciting stuff.

We learned edging while using that with low support and high support recovery. I tried to push myself to the limits and did not bother too much about the possibility of capsizing. That was when I kept capsizing till I lost count. To learn, you cannot be afraid to try anything! We did more capsize and rescue drills to enhance the confidence comfort level in executing them. Something new! Eskimo bow rescue was next. I was a victim while my buddy was the rescuer. I flipped to capsize myself, tapped the kayak and move my hands along the base of the kayak. That was to feel for a bump from my buddy's kayak, as a signal that she was around to aid me. That only came 6-8 seconds later. LOL! I even opened my eyes underwater and I could not spot any shadow from a kayak closing in. When I recovered, she kept apologising. Ha! I told her it was okay. Taz and KJ were enjoying themselves, watching us practising and capsizing in the sea. After a few more practise on Classic draws with edging, we beached back and washed up.

While the debrief was being conducted outdoors, I saw Run3 and LaoKaYu running their Health Group race. They saw me as I shouted out to them. Shower! Quick! Dinner time! I was already hungry. Kops21, Taz, KJ and I went out for dinner. Searching for great food (ask Kops21), we went to Yishun Industrial area for some Thai food at the store called "Taste of Thailand". Not exactly authentic, but I would say the quality of the food is recommendable. I had to restrain myself - No Tom Yum Soup. "Where's next for food?", asked KJ. *Bows* Next stop, Chong Pang Nasi Lemak store near Yishun Camp. Taz and I were looking for some Chee Cheong Fun. Too bad, the store closed down. We took some drinks before checking out a Chee Cheong Fun store in Casurina area. Another store closed! The fact is they only operate in the morning. Last option, Kops21 to Ah Li Shan along Upper Serangoon for some Taiwanese porridge. They served sweet potato bits in the porridge. I would prefer bigger chunks of sweet potatoes in my porridge, anytime! The dishes we had were good. What is a meal without dessert? Just further down the road, a dessert store left us choosing grass jelly or soya bean. Can't decide? Go "Michael Jackson" combo - Black or White? I took the combo. At this rate of eating, I am afraid even my own mum can't recognise me soon.



Posted by Muggs at 10:10 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment