Capsize Me: Part 2

Sunday, May 20, 2007

Second day of my 2 Star kayaking course today, with a morning lecture that lasted till almost 11+ am before we got some action in the sea. First, we refreshed our skill on stern rudder. Next to be taught was sculling draw. It took me a while to get the feel of this drill. Alvo and Meteor dropped by to see our class and we had lunch together.

After our lunch, it was Kayaker to Swimmer rescue method. Everyone buddied up and perform the drill while I took a picture of Kops21 shouting for help as a victim. We learned bow rudder next. I took a longer time than sculling draw to learn this. I would not say that I have mastered it. But, I sure need more practise. As usual, my right handed bow rudder is better than the left (everyone has a master side). We gathered and I was appointed as the "classroom" expedition leader. Obviously lost, I gave a direction and short briefing of our crew in the party and headed towards our objective. There were two planned and one genuine capsize. Rescue was performed swiftly and we rafted up to swap roles. Once we reached the suspension bridge, we gathered near to the Tanjong Rhu condominiums to perform a mass capsize and rescue. I learned the face down method to get back into the kayak as well.

The next challenge set by our instructor for us to get back to the beach. First part was to do a back paddle. Second part was to switch to left and right sculling draw. Third challenge was an edging and paddling back. I capsized a few times and got rescued. As instructed, we did our low and high support. One of my attempt at a high support (with my shoulder touching the water), I capsized again! Parts of a learning process. My next attempt at edging while paddling was better. More practise, I would say. The highlight of today was that I did a edging turn near the beach. Great!

Posted by Muggs at 7:13 PM  

2 comments:

Reminds me of the fun time during OBS... :)

Anonymous said...
6:58 PM, May 21, 2007  

Oh yeah.. your uniform group.

Muggs said...
10:33 PM, May 21, 2007  

Post a Comment