MLG Supp Paper

Sunday, May 13, 2007

Taking a Supp Paper, essentially means failing the first time and having to do a re-accessment of knowledge again.

I had all the ingredients ready and started measuring one by one. Gone are the days of manual labours of beating the batter. Replacements like mixers come into play. I still like my cake, the hand mixer/beater way, just like what my grandma used to do. For the stove, she used to steam her cakes using charcoal. I would definitely love to use that way. However, I do not have the necessary stove. Charcoal? That is a separate issue. Back to the cake. Mixing the eggs, sugar, honey and butter, I gave it more of a mix rather than a beating. Next, I added some vanilla extract, baking powder, flour and milk before applying a uniform beating to the batter. For those who have plenty of dri fits and no place to use them, wear them when you cook. Anyone who fails the "wave bye bye" jello arms test might want to consider using a manual rather than an electric beater. Aroma of vanilla, honey and eggs were still quite distinct even though they were thoroughly blended in one another. I transferred the batter into a pan with greased parchment paper before placing it in a wok of boiling water. 30 mins went by and Viola! Looks better than the previous pan caked version. However, not as spongy as the way I would like it to be.

Time to stop talking and let my taste buds do their job. Okay. Safe for tomorrow's breakfast consumption.

As a kid, I was deeply influenced by my grandma with her exceptional culinary skills. Cantonese women rule. While rheumatism constantly plagued her, I helped her with most of the cooking while she directed me on the steps. Till today (after her passing on for such a long time), I miss her each time I come across the familiar smell of a Sponge Cake.

Posted by Muggs at 11:11 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment