Tibet Holiday: Day 2

Tuesday, May 02, 2006

4am. Time to wake up and catch an early morning flight. Based on the guesthouse's information, I think JiuZhaiGou is possible, even doing it alone. While loading our packs into the cars, I looked up the sky for stars and still there were none. Traffic seems a little messy here where we saw 3 cars driving against the flow of traffic on the freeway!! So Daytona!!! Amazing! After checking-in, I walked around and was surprised to find a fruit stall smacked in the middle of the airport departure hall. Something new. The boarding area was kind of messy because we had to be transported out to the plane, on a airport bus. Saya suggest we turn around and wave like AirForceOne's Mr. President. Silly lass. On our flight to Lhasa, just 20 minutes of airborne, the Himalayas looking snow peaks were on our left of the plane. Everyone as snapping with their cameras. We enjoyed our breakfast of porridge, salted eggs and vegetables with the scenic mountains below.


Arriving at Lhasa's airport, temperature outside was already 8Deg Celsius. I think my butt will freeze. Saya introduced Anthony and Emily (an Aussie couple sitting beside her during the flight) to us once we got out of the airport. They do not have any plans yet in Tibet. Probably, they can join us in the road trip to Everest Base Camp! All of us took the same transport bus to Lhasa city where it is RMB$25 per pax. During the journey, we went through a mountain (it was a tunnel through a mountain). When I turned around, I noticed that they had some very nicely done paintings on the wall of the mountain. What?! The bus came to a complete halt with the driver sprinting off for a pee break. *slaps forehead* We passed rows of trees by the side of the road and it was simply beautiful. Soon, Anthony pointed out that Potala Place was visible. True enough, we passed the grand structure 5 minutes later. Our bus stopped at a hotel next to Potala Palace called the Airway Hotel. We grabbed our packs, walking out of the cab and trishaw infested spot. Everyone wants to carry your packs. Each pax had to pay RMB$5 that would bring us to Yak Hotel, which we later found that we only need to pay RMB$5 per ride. Air was noticeably thinner already. Once we got our room at Yak Hotel, we had to carry our packs up to level 3. That was when I felt like an old man, with legs trembling, heart pounding for extra work and my lungs screaming for air. Sure. They had staff to carry our bags for us. But, let's do it the painful way called D-I-Y. Our room is definitely clean and better than I thought. Anyway, I am not too choosy about accomodations. It costs us RMB$50 per pax, per night with no attached bathroom. Our hotel is among commoners' living quarters and wet markets. It bring you closer to their daily activities. We went to look for lunch since we are dropping by Kirey Hotel (another recommended budget hotel). There is a restaurant and we ordered some local food. I had mixed vegetable bobbi (tortillas) and EndlessTrail had some chow mein. Saya had Yak meat with rice and we all shared a plate of vegetable momo. Jeffrey seemed to be getting AMS (Acute Mountain Syndrome) and had a cup of hot teas instead. Both EndlessTrail and I tried their local butter tea. We found out that Kirey Hotel offers RMB$25 per pax for rooms. By then, Jeffrey felt worse and I walked him back to the hotel, while EndlessTrail and Saya went to get some fruits.


We let Jeffrey rest while the three of us looked around a little after a short nap. We wandered into local's quarters and their markets, doing quite a big loop around the area. We ended up at a restaurant across our hotel and I think I felt worse after the walk (probably fatigue). I had slight throbbing headache with a little nauseous. Lucky thing, the hot honey lemon tea did some wonders for me, while EndlessTrail and Saya ate. Walking up back to our rooms was still a chore. I felt that my thighs were aching as I climbed. Must be due to insufficient oxygen going to various areas. Come to think of it, hypoxic training does help. I slept for the night, hoping for a better day tomorrow. I meant my physical fitness.

Posted by Muggs at 10:05 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment