Holiday: Climbing Mount Kinabalu Day 2 & 3

Sunday, July 20, 2008

Simple breakfast of toast and coffee, the taxi pick up arrived at 745am as our transport to Mount Kinabalu Park HQ office. I got the front seat because I think the rest of the folks would want to hit the ZZZ button as soon as possible. I took the opportunity to get trigger happy. Click click here, click click there. I took pictures of the great mountain as it came on nearer during our journey. Along the way, I guess there is a Volkswagen Beetle club gathering somewhere. We found our taxi in between the long convoy of Beetles. I got lucky and was rewarded for my bravery for sticking my digicam out and taking the shot. By then, all of us (climbers) woke up due to the commotion of the Volkswagens around us, in all possible colors. Passing through low clouds and temperature fell and we enjoyed the fresh air like air condition.

Not too long, we reach the Park HQ office, signed in and took our park pass. While waiting for our guide to appear, we collected our packet lunch and had some small bites before our guide appeared. I saved most of my lunch only to be enjoyed later. Our guide was a 26 year old young chap called Walter. On my way climbing up, I was taking pictures all the time. However at one of the shelter (rest points) one of the fellow climbers who was heading down was hungry and didn't have any food with him. We gave him some to last him on his way down. Around 2km up, I was feeling the heat from my fullpack that contained 3l of water and other stuff. I proceeded along the path slower and most of our group were up ahead. Thanks for those turning back and checking that I am around. Nearing to the mid way or to Laba Ratan, it got pretty misty and I could not take much pictures. It was an opportunity for me to catch up. We finally reached Laba Ratan with Ronnie waving to say that it was just ahead. Yay! We checked in and showered to freshen up. It was showing 10deg Celsius outside. Unfortunately, the heater failed in ladies, had to use our gents. The queue just got longer. Hey, we all have to share, right? We popped into the canteen area and took our well deserved buffet dinner. Ronnie was having a little AMS symptoms. All of us slept at 8 to re-charge with greater challenges tomorrow.

Waking up at 1.30am, Ronnie was feeling better and changed to join us. At 2.30am, our guide signaled us to move off. With a daypack on my back, the long, steep, slippery, and dark path up seemed endless. Certain sections of the path had ropes for assisting climbers up. The ropes tell you everything. It is steep. I lost count of the number of times I had to stop when my lungs grasped for air and my quads screamed for a rest. At 5.30am, we finally reached the summit. I was shivering and cold to my bones! Each one of us brought a drink to the summit and we cheered on with our drinks. I think it was the cold that has driven most of us down. I stayed around a little longer to take a few pictures of the clouds above. As difficult as it was for us to get up to summit, the downward path was no easy task. Foot work!!! I could sense the echo from somewhere. One miss footing and you will be the next Rolling Stones. I was still snapping away (pictures) as and when I have the chance during my way back to Laba Ratan. Once back at the lodge, we were all hungry and had our breakfast before packing up. At 9.45am, we started to descend to Park HQ. Needless to say, my digicam was still working very hard, focusing on flowers and scenery. Right at 500m away from the Park gates, it poured!! I was drenched. I had my digicam and mobile phone under my tee and did a double quick time march. I was soaked inside out. We took a group photo that marked our completion in this challenge before dashing for our minivan that sent us to the cafe for lunch. We were all hungry and ready to feast on a cow. However, most of us just wanted something hot to warm ourselves. I had several servings of mushroom soup because that was one of the hottest stuff around.

On our way back to the Backpacker's Lodge, I slept like a log and woken up occasionally by my SMS alert. I can't tell you how glad I was to see a proper shower room and a chance to get out of my soaking wet clothes. Two thumbs up for a hot shower before heading out for massage for some of them. Three of us had drinks before we met up again for dinner. Ba Ku Teh dinner was fantastic! Yummy. On our way back, we bought some stuff at 7 11 and walked around more for a little digestion before hitting the bed.

Pics? Definitely... wait.

Posted by Muggs at 11:22 PM  

0 comments:

Post a Comment