Firefox 3 Broke Flash Sites

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Firefox 3 got over its beta and announced an official release. Every software has its buggy day. Which hasn't? I went ahead to install Firefox 3. First issue encountered was that there weren't any firefox.exe in my program files folder. What?! The recommended step was to re-run it and so I did. The next complain from the system was that I have a missing .dll file. What the?! Yet again, I double clicked the installation file for the third time and when I started up Firefox 3, it complained about some xml error. Thanks. Fallback plan. I uninstalled Firefox 3, which the system claimed that it had no entry in the install / uninstall program files. *faint* I had to remove files and delete registries. Finally installing back Firefox 2.0.x, I started up firefox and to my amazement (or should I say, I'm not amazed) to find out that my web surfing experience is back to those days of a 28.8kbps modem. Strange enough, it only affected websites that contained flash. What's worse? It's intermittent. I closed my Firefox 2.0.x and thought - oh well, back to the old IE days, I guess. Thank you, but no thank you, my IE suffered from the same slow, dying, painful dial-up Internet experience. After a couple of googling (took me like hours to view pages), I still had no clue. I tried installing other browsers which didn't work as well. I tried uninstalling and re-installing flash plug-in for Firefox and IE - nope, didn't work. Eventually, I thought of this. Why don't I run in safe mode for Firefox? Viola! It did work. I moved from website to website for close to 30mins and there weren't any issues at all. I restarted Firefox and disabled all add-ons and themes. It was back to the normal state, where everything works fine. All I can say is this line of work is not for the weak minds.

Posted by Muggs at 2:10 PM  

4 comments:

Erm ... FirefoxPortable worked OOB (out of box) for me. Just extract and viola, working browser.

Otherwise, download and install Ubuntu. It comes with Firefox 3, although it's beta. Ha ha ...

Anonymous said...
3:07 PM, June 22, 2008  

If I can use linux for my work laptop, I would have converted it right away. :(

Muggs said...
5:51 PM, June 22, 2008  

strange... I don't have such problem upgrading from firefox

Anonymous said...
3:26 PM, June 23, 2008  

yar..firefox 3 sucks....used it for only a week....everyday...it gets slower..until one day...I cannot even surf a single webpage..i thought is virus...but got none after scan....i opened my IE..i can surf normally...

Anonymous said...
12:02 AM, July 13, 2008  

Post a Comment